What started as a 1950's polka-dot dress had to be refashioned due to damage on the top half. The sleeveless dress was badly stained on the underarms and sadly, too much needed cutting out to be able to save it complete. There was also staining to the shoulder so the top half of the dress had to go.
With the 1950s make do and mend ethos in mind I decided to rework some denim into the dress and make it more pinafore as well as bringing it more up to date. I have kept the seams raw in contrast to the tailored approach to the handmade 50s dress. The front panel also includes some handstitched sashiko and the belt is taken from the fastening of a denim shirt - the reverse polka dots worked well.
I managed to keep the side zipper intact and maintain the tailored bust and back so it's only the upper section of the bodice that's changed.
This dress incorporates a dress of approximately seventy years old with saved denim from discarded jeans; every part saved from landfill. Sustainable style in every aspect.
Underarm to underarm 17.5" / 44.5cm
Shoulder to shoulder 16.5" / 42cm
Across waist 15" / 38cm
Shoulder to hem 38.5" / 98cm
Please take the time to check out my other items, new stock added daily - give my shop a follow to keep up to date with what's new, thanks.
top of page
bottom of page